Questions about the Readiness check

Dear organizers,

due to the changes of the readiness check, some questions have arrived:

For the magnet task, the magnet is placed in the dexterity post. Is there a specification, what the dexterity post is?

In the dexterity tasks 2-5, a manipulation object is referred which is described in the yet not available construction guide. Is the object a normal screw driver, or is it a specialized object?

The manipulation object should touch the head of a screw in task 2. In task 3, the manipulation object should be rotated. Should this rotation also turn the screw? How big is the required rotation? Currently this section is pretty unspecified.

Dexterity tasks 2-5 sound like we should take a screw driver and turn a screw with it and then put the screw driver away. Is my interpretation of this correct? If yes, is the screw driver provided or can we use our own? Must the gripper be used to hold it, or are we allowed to create a specified adapter/holder?

The location of the screw also raises some questions, as we don’t understand, how the sentence “Raising the target above the surrounding area prevents robots from hitting the surface nearby and then dragging onto the target.” is meant to be understood.
Is the screw located on the readiness check, or where?

In general it would be helpful to see a picture or concept visualizing the structure of the new readiness check. Would you be able to provide is with such a picture, as it helps us to understand the new tasks better?

Best regards,
Frederik

Hi Frederick,

Thanks for your question and my apologies about the late information!

1: The dexterity post is just a block of wood within the crate. We will be releasing the technical drawings of this shortly but for now, you can assume it is a block of wood mounted to the middle of the crate, around 9x9cm and with its top surface around 5-10cm back from the opening of the crate, with a magnet attached to the side of it that you’ll need to be able to detect (pretending of course that the magnet is an object of interest, such as a potential radioactive sample, and your magnetic sensor is some kind of sensor that you’re wanting to get close to it to take some reading).

2: The manipulation object is as it was last time around, that is any object of the team’s choosing that can be held in the gripper (but is not “locked” into the gripper … so a generic piece of wood or a tool or similar is fine, something that is designed to latch into attachment points in the gripper is not), with a shaft coming off it that is at least the length specified.

3: Touching the screw is just a touch task (to demonstrate precise control - it replaces the previous test in past years where teams had to touch a dot with a pen, and gets around the issue we used to have where teams would touch somewhere nearby the dot and then drag onto the dot, which is not the precision we’re after). It is separate from the rotate task (where the shaft of the manipulation object will be in a hole that allows it to rotate freely). Sorry about the ambiguity!

4: Pictures will be available shortly. I’m really hoping by the end of this week, followed soon after by some basic videos.

Cheers!

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for your quick answers, this cleared a lot of things up. I’m looking forward to see the pictures and videos.

Best regards,
Frederik

Hi Frederick,

The updated construction guide is now available, see under Qualification → Arena Assembly Guide. A rendering of the readiness check crate is on page 25.

I’ll be publishing the QR codes and stickers for the pipes shortly (the hazmat labels are already on the website).

Cheers!

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

thanks for the quick upload. We’re planning to build our own version the next weeks and are thankful for the guide.

Best regards,
Frederik