Let me know the requirements for Remote-Only participants

Dear RoboCup Rescue organizers,

I have a question about the video submission of the remote-only participants.

Based on the previous answer and rulebook, we need to submit a video attachment with TDP for a remote online competition.
Confirmation of the schedule of virtual competition - RoboCup Rescue Robot Forum
RRL 2022 Draft Rules Pt 1 - Qualification and Competition Logistics (robocup.org)
However, there is no description of the tasks and requirements of the video package.
What kind of tasks do we need to show?
Is the regulation the same as the “Qualifying Videos” of in-person competition, described in the qualification document?
RoboCupRescue Robot League 2022 Qualifications
Or, do we need to do more tasks as same as preliminary in in-person competition?
Please share the requirements for the videos.
Also, let me know the deadline for video submission.

Hi!

The idea is that remote participation is equivalent to the preliminary rounds of the in-person (and are directly comparable). So teams should build the apparatuses for the preliminary listed tests that they intend to participate in. The requirement for the video itself is as per last year (which is also the same as for qualification) - uncut quadscreen, uploaded to a timestamped video sharing site, etc…

The deadline for the video package and TDP is still Sunday June 19th, as was announced back in Feb. See https://rrl.robocup.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/RRL-2022-Summary-of-Org-and-Logistics.pdf .

Cheers!

• Raymond

Hi, Raymond

Thank you for your reply!
We will prepare the video and TDP by the deadline.

Kojima

I have other questions about remote preliminaries (Sorry for the repetition).

1. Do we need to prepare the pre-recorded video package by Jun 19, as the same form as last year’s online preliminaly like the following link?
    hector-drz_submission_sheet_rc21_submitted
    (I might misunderstand that we need to attach videos and scores with TDP as same as a video qualification round of in-person teams, submitted in March.)
    We will prepare the videos as same as the above link if it is required by the deadline.

2. Do we need maneuvering trials in video submissions by Jun 19?
    The rule says “To win any Best-in-Class certificate, you need a positive, non zero score in 4 of 6
    maneuvering tests.”
    Is it common in the remote preliminary?
    If we need to satisfy this requirement, we need to prepare at least 4 maneuvering fields.
    (It seems that only DEX, MOB, or EXP videos were submitted last year.)

3. Is “Best-in-Class” common in remote and in-person teams, or is it separately awarded?

Hi Kojima,

Thanks for your questions!

1: Yes, the way we will run the remote competition is logistically the same as last year, except that instead of just being manipulation, we will also have the other tests available. We are still asking for a TDP and because we are allowing teams to decide to participate right up to the last minute (June 19th), we of course must allow teams to submit their TDPs as late as possible, which is also June 19th.

2: Yes, because we are now trying to have some way to compare remote teams and in-person (preliminaries) teams, we are expanding out the set of tests.

3: The plan is to award the “Best-in-Class” awards as common between remote and in-person teams. Of course, as this is the first time we are trying to do this, we may need to be a bit flexible if the situation makes this difficult to do in a fair manner.

Hi, Raymond
Thank you for your answers!

It is difficult for us to fully build all maneuvering fields by Jun 19, especially MAN3…

Also, detailed dimensions are not described in the rulebook.

I hope organizers to reduce the complexity of the maneuvering fields, and show assembling guidelines with dimensions.
The draft version, which only contains CAD drawings and dimensions of light-build maneuvaring fields, is already helpful for us because we need to prepare the field and videos by Jun 19.

Best regards,
Shotaro Kojima

Hi Shotaro,

Thank you for your email!

The construction guide for the components that are new since 2019 are now available from the RoboCup website under Qualification Process → Arena Assembly Guide (direct link at Arena Assembly Guide – RoboCupRescue Robot League ).

Note that MAN3 is the same as was in 2019, the construction guide for that has been available from Qualification Process → 2022 Important Information, at the bottom of the page (direct link at https://rrl.robocup.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/RoboCup2019_AssemblyGuide_Metricv3_small.pdf ). My apologies that this was a bit hard to find!

We don’t need you to build these apparatuses exactly as in our construction guide because we realize that the dimensions of readily available wood in each country is different and if your robot is particularly light, you won’t need to build it as strong as we have (where we anticipate it needing to potentially support humans). For MAN3, if you have a lightweight robot, for instance, a couple of pieces of board to form the ramps, perhaps reinforced underneath with timber, leaned up against suitably strong tables at the correct height, along with some free-standing L-walls (perhaps then screwed into the ramps) will be sufficient.

Please let us know if this helps or if you have any further questions!

Cheers!

Raymond

Hi Raymond,
I have a question about the construction of (MAN 2) Align Ground
Contacts: in the page 5 of “ARENA ASSEMBLY GUIDE 2022”, the apparatus is in the z-shape. However, in the page 5 of “RoboCup Rescue 2022 Draft Rulebook Part 2: Maneuvering”, the apparatus is in the straight shape. Which apparatus should we construct? If we construct the straight apparatus, how long are the rails?

Best regards!

Wenbang Deng

Hello Wenbang:

Sorry for the confusion. We are using part of an existing arena for the in person competition which shows the s configuration.

You should build the straight apparatus. The rails are 2.4 meters (8 ft)

–Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks for you reply! We will build the apparatuses as required.

I’m sorry that I still have one question: Are there any rules for fiducial distribution of Distributed Exploration and Mapping Tests? Will they be the same as the last year?

Best regards!

Wenbang Deng

Hi Wenbang Deng,

I believe the idea is for it to be the same as last year. Let me doublecheck with the folks who are working on that part of the competition.

Cheers!

• Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thanks for you confirmation.

Best regards!

Wenbang Deng

Hi Wenbang Deng,

Just confirmed, yes the rules for distributing the fiducials is the same as last year. Of course for teams who participated last year, the fiducials should be in different positions than in the past. During the live telecon runs for teams who reach the remote telecon finals (best-in-class), we may ask teams to shift fiducials around.

Cheers!

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Thanks a lot. We will finish this task in a new environment.

The last question to confirm is the specific pictures of visual acuity targets of Search and Inspect.

Best regards!

Wenbang Deng

Sorry about the delay! I’ll make a fresh post regarding the search and inspect rails.

• Raymond